AT THE OLD BALL GAME

"Take me out to the ball game
Take me out with the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack
I don't care if i never get back
Let me root, root root for the home team
If they don't win its a shame
For its one, two, three strikes, your out
At the old ball game"

What do you know of baseball? This is what I asked myself. I know its kinda like rounders and with reading 'One Summer in America 1927' by Bill Bryson I thought I knew a little bit more than most but when it came to the basic rules, I didn't have a clue! This last Friday we were invited to watch the Jethawks, Lancaster's Baseball team. So with this being the first time either of us had watched a baseball game in its entirety, not just clips or read stories of it was a interesting learning experience.

I'm not going to bore you by explaining how it works now, someone has probably done a really good job on Wikipedia (something I should have checked out first before going maybe). We obviously started by having a hotdog and a burger, I mean you have too! They were so tasty so must be terrible for you, then we found our seats.

I didn't realise how may breaks there are in a baseball game. This particular baseball game was Starwars themed so the breaks had themed entertainments, such as wookie impressions to storm trooper dance offs.

The more the game went on the more we realised it wasn't so much about the game, though to some people that was a big deal (especially to the two guys sitting three rows behind us!!), it was more about the atmosphere. Most people were there to enjoy an evening out with family. The night was finished off with a firework display and some live music. A great evening that we will have to do again soon!

A.













No comments:

Post a Comment