GOODBYE TO MY OLD FRIEND

A year ago I was adamant that this would never happen but with the posting abroad I just had to make this call.


I wonder how many people are attached to their cars; we talked about it at work the other day, how many of the guys had named their car. Well all my cars have had names but the name of my first car I didnt choose, to be honest I would have called it somthing completely different but the previous owner's name for the little Austin Mini Mayfair 1983 just stuck. This is Primrose, my first car (oh and Macintosh).



I think Primrose was the pattern for every car I owned after it. Primrose was a cool car, slightly lower than the normal mini because the suspension was a bit flat, retro interior with brown carpet everywhere. When people say dashboard, I say shelf. When people say 'just go straight on', I say 'I am going straight on' (the car crabbed alot). When people say 'how much fuel have you got', I say 'havent a clue! We should be able to make it though (yes the Lloyds know that wasn't always true)

You see it was the coolest car in the world never completely works but that doesn't matter, you don't need fancy stuff in you car to have fun:

Heating - no chance - sit on you hands, they will soon warm up.

Radio - no way - listern to the engine, it makes some intresting sounds.

Lights - sometimes - depends if it was raining or not.

Crazy adventures - ALWAYS!!!!

The mini also featured in a not so famous russian mobster heist movie filmed in various locations around Dunstable, various homemade music videos, rally safaris into deepest Shropshire trying to get lost so that Penman and myself could have fun trying to work out where we were. Even if we had no adventures planned whilst driving then Primrose often helped by just breaking down.

If ever a first car became a best friend, it was this one. But as time went on Primrose got older, I lacked time, money and most importantly a garage to fix her. So with the posting to America came the realisation and persuasion from Han that she must go to a warmer, more enclosed home that wasn't a flowerbed.

Farewell Primose, you will be missed.
A


               





3 comments:

  1. It's no wonder why Primrose has a place in your heart. She’s just so wonderful! I can only imagine all the adventures that you had on the road with her. It’s not surprising if you miss driving her once in a while. While it won't be the same, hopefully you'll have the same bond with another car, if ever you decide to get one again soon.

    Byron Walters @ Bob Dunn Subaru

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people can definitely relate to you, Andrew! It’s kinda hard to break the attachment you once had with your car, especially when you have run many miles and have been to many road trips with it. But just like most things, it would break down eventually. If there’s any consolation, at least you enjoyed the experience with her before you had to say goodbye.

    Diana Hayes @ Baldwin Subaru

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s never easy to say goodbye, especially when you’ve made so many memories with her. But everything comes to an end. Primrose might have left you, but those memories you two had will be cherished forever. You just have to continue your journey, and make new memories with your new car. Drive safe!

    Damon Sherman @ Butler Auto Hyundai

    ReplyDelete