MACINTOSH MONDAY

The cone of shame is horrific for dogs but it's even worse for humans. Let me explain why.

When Macintosh had to be first subjected to the cone of shame last Monday he was really sad and quite out of it so really although the cone bothered him it didn't cause too much of a bother for me. He simply laid on the sofa and just looked quite forlorn. However, fast forward a week and the story is quite different. Macintosh has now become a menace!

On Saturday I went food shopping and when I returned I was greeted by a very excitable puppy. Nothing unusual about that he's often quite mad. However when I started bringing in the shopping he then got even more excited and decided to dash towards the shopping to sniff it all. The problem was I was standing in the way! So mid way through putting my shopping away I was hit full force on the back of the ankle with the edge of the cone of shame. Ouch!

Picture me sitting on the sofa busy reading or on the laptop or knitting. Macintosh comes strolling in and decides he wants to sit next to me. Before I have time to dissuade or stop him he is launching, again full force, at the sofa. I get clonked on the head with the cone of shame and then have it digging into my side as he proceeds to settle himself down into a comfortable position.

Those two incidents doesn't even begin to cover the horrors of the cone. Think of the wonderful sound of it being dragged across the floor as we go walking which is highly embarrassing, especially early on a Sunday morning.Think of the numerous times I get hit when he's thrashing around playing with a toy, totally ignorant of my presence in the room. Then there's the endless cleaning as he comes in from the garden with half the grass and mud attached to it. Do you get the impression that I'm not a fan of the cone of shame?

Well possibly the most irritating bit comes when its food time. See Macintosh has not worked out how to eat with the cone on. He simply sees food and is desperate to eat it. He attempts to get the food out but forgets the cone will get in the way. Instead of allowing the cone to frame the bowl he just sticks his nose straight in and the cone inevitably pushes the bowl away. That then results in howling and whining until I come and retrieve the bowl. It only gets worse then he manages to drop a piece of food out of his mouth and has it land in his cone. This results in baying and barking with lots of thrashing around until I come and sort it out. Honestly food time is a nightmare!! 

Thank goodness the cone of shame can disappear before the week is out. I'm not sure Macintosh can take much more of this. I know I can't!!




                 

No comments:

Post a Comment