THANKSGIVING DAY REPORT

So just wanted to catch you up on the events of the long weekend. Thanksgiving day turned out to be a good day, making new friends, having fun and actually feeling very thankful, especially to God.

I had been invited out to share thanksgiving with a family from Forest Lake church but didn't want to leave the lads but as plans fell through due to events out our control I was able to take up the invite and celebrate thanksgiving American style.

Being a relatively shy person in big groups, especially when its a lot of new people, even more so when I'm in another country, I was quite worried about it all but I have to take my hat off to them. The southern americans are such a friendly and hospitable bunch, and my worries soon vanished after I arrived, only to be replaced by sheer amazement at the amount of food being prepared in the kitchen for lunch!

We had a selection of stuffings on large trays, vegetable dishes pilled high across the counter, two turkeys (and yes one of the turkeys was deep fried outside in a giant fryer and it tasted incredible, kinda like a massive KFC) and a huge ham joint to name but a few of the delicious choices. So we dug into the feast.
Then on to pudding with numerous pies hot and cold, from pumpkin to pecan and a few apple pies in the middle, topped of with lashing or cream. Yum!

After the meal we took it in turns round to table to speak of what we were most thankful for, and it was quite emotional hearing of the huge blessing or support people had received at seemingly very dark times of their lives. With all of this we just wanted to thank God so we had a bit of a sing song round the piano to end.

The rest of the day was split between playing boule ball (boules) out by the lake as the sun set, which turned out to be very competitive, and games and puzzles inside, which also became very competitive. For tea just like our christmas day's back in England we had the yummy left overs so I was well stuffed by the end.

So all in all a super day, meeting new people, making new friends. My first thanksgiving and I can't wait for the next one!!

A


No comments:

Post a Comment