NEW ORLEANS

After thanksgiving I joined with the lads on a trip to New Orleans to make the most of the long weekend. It was good to get out and explore and enjoy a change of scenery, see some old architecture and take in the culture.

Friday was mostly travelling, though having to switch up my lazy american driving style to aggressive city diving was a bit tricky, you just have to go for it and ignore the littlevoice in your head tell you they might have a gun (It was funny in the car at the time).

First thing that amazed me was how musical New Orleans is, everywhere you will hear music. Ok sometimes not the best. One guy was trying his best busking with a trumpet he must have found day before, about as good as me on my mandolin probably.

Secondly the architecture was cool; cast iron balconies, french windows, shutters. I was glad to see a bit of history (ok not the oldest but still). And yes I'm a Woodruff so I had to ride on a street car (tram) but have to say they aren't very regular though that maybe down the cars waiting on the tracks in traffic jams. 

Thirdly I was amazed with how chilled everyone was, considering how packed the place was over the weekend. I didn't see one scuffle or fight but then there were loads of police everywhere which probably helped.

Over the weekend we saw so much live music, places right next door would have bands playing totally different styles from RnB to Country & Western and obviously loads of different jazz groups with incredible talent. On the street there were choirs, small groups, solo opera singers, it felt like everyone was making music and if you left the city for peace by the river Mississippi, the sound of the boats horns and whistles filled the air instead.

On Saturday we booked a trip on Steamboat Natchez, one of the tour paddle steamers. They served us some tasty creole dishes, had an interesting audio tour and then a live band played christmas tunes as we lazy moved along the river. In the evening we went to a microbrewery and restaurant by the riverside. I don't want to over sell everything but the food and drink was yum! All served with a side of live jazz! I also was impressed by the design and style of the place so all the ticks from me.

Finishing up the weekend we popped over to see the USS Alabama and a small collection of aircraft at a museum on route back, a pretty impressive warship set against the setting sun as we drove back to base. Here are a few photos of the trip.

A




No comments:

Post a Comment